Bioinformatics National Certification Examination (BINC)
Pondicherry University,Puducherry,on behalf of Department of Biotechnology, Government of India, conducted the BINC examination in 2015, 2016 and 2017. The objective of this examination is to certify bioinformatics professionals, trained formally as well as self-trained.Results of BINC 2017 Examination is declared on April 20, 2017.
Bachelor degree in Life Sciences, Physical Sciences,Chemical Sciences,Mathematical Sciences, Agriculture, Veterinary, Medicine, Pharmacy, Engineering & Technology are eligible to appear in the examination. They need not have any formal training viz., certificate, diploma or degree in Bioinformatics. Students in final year of Bachelor & Post graduate degree are also eligible to apply.
- The examination consists of THREE papers.
Paper Type Date of Exam No. of questions Marks Duration Time Paper I Objective
March 23, 2017
100 100 2 hours 10:00 – 12:00 Paper II Short answers April 09, 2017
20 200 3 hours 09:00 – 12:00 Paper III Practicals April 09, 2017
1 100 3 hours 14:00 – 17:00
- The syllabus consists of six sections – Bioinformatics, Biology, Physical Science, Chemical Science, Mathematics & Statistics, Information Technology.
- Syllabus for Paper-I (All Subjects Basic)
- Download syllabus of Paper I
- Syllabus for Paper-II (All Subjects Advanced)
- Download syllabus of Paper II
- Syllabus for Paper-III (Bioinformatics and Information Technology: Basic & Advanced)Download syllabus of Paper III
- Syllabus for All Papers (Changed in 2017)
- Download Syllabus for All Papers
- Download Sample Question for Paper-I
- Download Sample Questions for Paper-II (Changed in 2015)
- Download Sample Questions for Paper III will be computer based practical and will include programming on Bioinformatics.
Important points to note:
- For Paper I there will be negative marking of 0.25 for every wrong answer.
- The list of successful candidates in the Paper I will be announced on March 27, 2017 on the website.
- Candidates securing 40% or above marks in Paper I ONLY will be eligible to appear for Paper II and III.
- Candidates scoring a minimum of 40% or above in each papers(Paper I, Paper II & Paper III) will be certified.
- Final list will be displayed at the BINC website.