Name of the Position : Research Assistant with the Tata Institute of Genetics and Society, inStem labs, Bangalore, Karnataka
This person will report to the Insectary Manager and must have experience working in a biological laboratory environment and ideally should have an interest in vector borne disease research. Should have the ability to work unsupervised, be meticulous with following protocols, record-keeping and have good time-management skills. Must be self-motivated and able to work well in a team (includes post-doctoral scientists, graduate students and laboratory support staff). Good knowledge about mosquito genetics, mosquito breeding and crossing.
- Rear and maintain mosquito stocks (Anopheles stephensi, Aedes aegypti, etc) and experimental colonies in the Insectary at the TIGS-Bangalore, India
- Conduct crossing and screening offspring for appropriate marker genes.
- Maintain meticulous records of mosquito life history table and experimental outcomes.
- Assist with various in vivo experiments within the malaria team.
- Ensure the smooth day-to-day running of the insectary.
- Ordering of stocks, preparation of reagents and maintaining stocks etc.
- Maintenance of equipment and supplies in the insectary.
- Assist in the writing and review of basic standard operating procedures, protocols etc.
- Perform initial analysis and observations with ongoing experiments.
- Attend appropriate meetings and training opportunities within the lab and Institute.
- Keep up to date with and advise on matters relating to Good Laboratory Practice (GLP).
- Detailed record keeping, photo documentation and other regulations relevant to the post.
- Keeping detailed records for all injection runs and their outcomes.
- Documenting genetic phenotypes and assisting with weekly/month presentations.
- Strong attention to detail, with the ability to organize samples and record results in a clear and organized fashion.
- IT skills including a knowledge of Word, Excel (i.e. data bases) and PowerPoint programs.
- Ability to organize own work load and take initiative as appropriate.
- Knowledge of health and safety regulations in a laboratory environment.
- Excellent communication in English is a stringent requirement.
Graduate in Science subjects (Biological Sciences) from a recognized university with two or three years work experience in the field of entomology or mosquito handling or M.Sc. in Life Sciences subjects
- Work experience in the field of Medical Entomology
- Experience creating, screening, and rearing transgenic insects
How to Apply:
Applicants are requested to email firstname.lastname@example.org with a CV, brief write-up covering letter describing your interest and qualifications for the job.
Application deadline: Mar 25, 2018